Monday, August 9, 2010

Crazy Good Quesadillas

Unfortunately, there are many evenings when my husband is unable to be present for dinner. On such occasions, it is unlikely that I will have the energy to take on the work involved in preparing a complex dinner menu, only to be the sole server, dish washer, and parent afterward. Nights like this call for something light and healthy with little clean up. 

While I will take the 'easier' way out of these partner-less situations, I never skimp on quality. Valuable ingredients coupled with creativity make quick, nutritious, last minute meals simple.

My favorite stand-by quick meal is quesadillas. Typically, my children request spinach and cheese quesadillas. I actually keep the 4 ingredients required for this simple meal on hand at all times; whole grain tortillas (corn in our house), extra virgin olive oil, fresh organic spinach, and a block of cheddar or mozzarella cheese.

Served with a bowl of berries, spinach quesadillas are kid friendly and well rounded. However, such a simple meal lacks a certain adult appeal. Serving myself this dish alongside my children's, left me feeling a little.....childish. So I decided to add a few grown up elements to the mix, leading to 'Crazy Good Quesadillas.'


Here's what you need:
Whole Grain Tortillas
Olive Oil
Pepper Jack Cheese
Organic Tomato
Re fried BLACK beans (Amy's Organic are my favorite because they're already seasoned.)
If your black beans are unseasoned, add some garlic, onion, and basil.




Oil the griddle, layer tortilla, cheese, tomato (diced works best), cheese, spread beans on the inside of top tortilla. Cook for about 5 mins. on high, flip and cook for another 5 mins.  Move to cutting board and cut into halves or quarters (a pizza cutter works well here).

Serve with a simple veggie like a whole baked sweet potato topped with apple butter, honey, or sea salt and paprika.Or fresh organic spinach with this homemade honey balsamic vinaigrette: 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, 1/2 cup olive oil, salt and ground black pepper to taste.

Keep in mind that this Mexican inspired dish is not for weak taste buds. It is hearty, and packs a powerful flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you a fellow Food Prude? Tell us your thoughts....

For Email Marketing you can trust